A typical companion caregiver is someone who is accountable for providing household management, personal assistance, and companionship in a way that is responsible and caring. These activities include in-house support services such as trash removal, bed making, laundry, housekeeping, grocery shopping, meal preparation, arranging transportation, important reminders and all sorts of basic functions as per the requirement. He/she should maintain the confidentiality of the client and a safe environment.
Job Qualifications And Experience
Ideally most of the job requirements prefer experienced companion caregivers, who have good recommendations from other people, but you can also make the cut with a relevant high school diploma or its equivalent. You must be physically robust to perform the duties of a caregiver, and exhibit responsible behavior and maturity. Pep up your communication and administrative skills, and you are good to go.
Job Prospects & Remuneration
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the predictable job growth for executive companion caregivers is 26% from the year 2014 to the year 2024. Caregivers can expect to receive a yearly salary package of approximately $20,980 with good increments on offer.
Job Skills Needed
Communication is not the only skill required for an ideal caregiver. You need to possess a certain set of specific abilities in order to execute perfect companion caregiving services.
- Patience: Being a caring person is all about being patient. People to whom you are providing care to, may oppose your way of working, but you need to be persistent and adaptable for any such situation.
- Active listening: Unless you listen properly to the requirements of your client, you won’t be able to provide the kind of care they are expecting from you. Sometimes, it’s just about listening to them, just to make them feel valued.
- Speech clarity: Take ample amount of time to explain each and everything in detail, and have the patience to point out the requirements from the client’s side.
- Positive body language: As a caregiver, it’s very important to have a friendly attitude and body language towards the person who is engaging with you. Make them feel that you are interested in whatever they are requesting for.
- Special abilities: You may also be exposed to some challenging tasks such as communicating with someone disabled or impaired. Developing your own way of communication is itself an skill.
Job Scope Requirements
Being a companion caregiver is no kid’s play and there are a few responsible duties you need to perform on a daily basis:
- Planning and preparation of meals in accordance with the dietary requirements of each member at the client’s place.
- Carrying out housekeeping activities such as cleaning bathroom, doing laundry, changing bed linens and vacuuming to ensure a safe and clean environment.
- Providing encouragement and companionship to the client in any possible form. Taking a walk with them in the morning or accompanying them to the doctor.
- Household supplies and grocery shopping whenever required.
Want to Apply for a Companion Caregiver Position Today?
At The Calendar Group, we hire talented professionals for our residential staffing projects. If you are eligible to work legally in the US, and have strong recommendations working as a companion caregiver, we’ll be happy to meet you in person and evaluate your skills for a position in one of our client’s projects. Give us a call or email us today for more details.